Saturday, June 25, 2005

Huge update

S'been two weeks since I wrote my last entry. What has happened? Hell lot. It would be easier for me if I wrote it in several entries over the past two weeks, but I was (1) busy and (2) lazy as usual.

First of all, I started my second year of university. It just feels good being back in school again, though I was pretty swamped in just my first week. I'll get to that later.

Anyway, my hostel application was rejected since last semester, and I missed the appeal dates. I managed to find a (cheap) place two days just before school started, a two-room in my senior's house. I'm currently sharing a room with coffee-ping, he's a nice guy if you feed him his regular supply of hentai and fighting games.

Travelling from house to school is quick and easy, it's even quicker than going from hostel. You'd have to cross a fence and climb up a hill though. Sometimes, annoying guards would stop you and ask you to go the 'usual way', which I think it's discrimination against car-less people. Here's a quick diagram of the area:



As you can see, the green route is the preferred route by any student. The red route takes three times the time to reach school, and is only suitable for those who drive. There are security guards situated near the fence for 24 hours. I wonder if their only purpose is to stop students from crossing the fence.

On the other hand, we busied our heads off for the World Cyber Games 2005 Inter-College Challenge and Game Developers' Club recruitment. I'll start talking about the WCG event first.

Getting people to play games is harder than I thought. For five days we promoted our asses off and got only about 20 people. The common excuses were "Ah I suck at this game." (No, you just suck in general.) and "I only play this game for fun...." (Well, since when games aren't for fun?) I didn't manage to check out the event itself, since I was in the Hall doing club promotion.

Tuesday and Wednesday were Club Registration Days. Every official club in the university sets up a booth in the hall and try to get (con) as many people into their club as possible. We got 60+ people, there were quite some cute girls, especially this one who's a Hitman fan (whoa). Anyway, I tried my best to get people in, that's where my heart is. I think it's the first time where I've been so fervent in promoting for a club.

The main attraction of our booth is the name itself, often people come and ask "So you'll teach us how to make games?" which the proper reply to that would be "What kind of games would you like to make?" which the typical reply would be "Uh... I dunno, I thought you'll teach us to make games?" which the proper reply would be "Well, if you don't have any game ideas, we can't do anything about it."

Thursday and Friday went by pretty eventlessly, and now I'm sitting here writing this blog.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jarod said...

hahaha nice map man....

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I edited your map pretty good, no? ;)

5:31 AM  
Blogger no-wing said...

SOS - Indeed. It captured my frustration exactly.

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home