Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Nice management huh

I mentioned about the shortcut to school in my last entry. Recently, the management seemed to have tightened the security around the fence. Considering that the guards there don't have anything to do, I suppose they'll have some fun yelling at students trying to take the shortcut.

So one hot afternoon while I was getting back from classes, to take a quick break before going back an hour later. That wasn't too much trouble since the trip takes only five minutes to and fro, leaving me with fifty minutes in between. Unfortunately, on my way back home, I was waylaid by one guard. I guessed that he was Pakistani from his name tag. He spoke relatively good English, though he struggled at words sometimes. He told me that I can't go from this route, like "You, uh, can't go from this route." I asked for a reason, since there were no signs around the area saying that this path is forbidden. The guard told me that the patch of land belonged to another company and he's not sure what are they going to do with it. Fine then, I asked him whether if I could raise this issue to the management. He did not supply me with a hotline numbe or a complaints e-mail address since he didn't know any. We had a friendly chat before he let me go.

With forty minutes left and a hot sun above, I skipped that class.



Another day I was taking the shortcut again with a friend when a guard -- no, I'm not sure if he's a guard or just some whack. The guards are in uniform and had nametags. This one was just wearing a T-shirt with no name tag. But anyway, he didn't hesitate to give out threats. He was rather rude to my friend, but that was deserving of my friend since he was rude to the 'guard' in the first place. After the exchange of threats, I tried to start a conversation with him.



Me: Is there any reason why we can't walk this path, considering that there are no notices around saying so?

'Guard': I don't want to talk so much. You can't cross here, OK?

Me: But why isn't there a sign or written notice here saying that we can't cross here?

'Guard': Because I've told everyone who comes by not to walk this path.

Me: OK, fine, we'll turn back. But can you give me a reason why we can't walk this path?

'Guard': This land is MK Land's (developer of the condos), not MMU's (my university). They made crossing here illegal. I'm the security officer, I have the rights. *turns to friend* And you don't give me that kind of face, you think you're so good, studying in MMU? I'll take down your IC numbers next time.

(At this time, I was wondering who actually owns that patch of land.)

Me: So what would you do with our IC numbers?

'Guard': Why should I tell you? (Because that's our IC numbers, duh!)

Me: OK, whatever. Anyway, do you know where I can clarify about this, since you don't want to tell me anything?

'Guard': You can always go to the office.

Me: Any numbers I can call, or e-mail addreses?

'Guard': *smirk* Why do you need the telephone number?

Me: Because it saves me the trouble to go there?

'Guard': *laugh* Nah there's no number. Just go to the office.

Me: I thought this place is like so high-tech or something, and you don't have a number. Anyway, you're Mr.?

He then tells me his name, then we leave.


Now, I am one who doesn't wish to break the rules. My main beef is that there is no sign clearly stating that no trespassing is allowed. Heck, the 'guard' didn't even have identification, he could be bullshitting me anyway. If there is a sign to stop people from walking that path, I'll gladly respect their decision and take the long way.

Secondly, the 'guards' attitude pissed me off. I understand that he was rude to my friend because he was rude to him, but the least thing he could do was to answer my questions properly. I don't think I showed any hostility during the conversation, in fact I was smiling all the while.

Thirdly, a point which I have not mentioned, I searched the condo's website to look for contacts. The only contact given was of its sales department. Regardless I sent a mail there, but it bounced because apparently no such address existed. Yes, I did spellcheck. So, a company that cares only about its sales and nothing after that. Speaks a lot of its intentions, heh?

In any case, I'll be heading down to the office in a few day's time, where I have one free day. I won't even force them to let students use that path, I just want a good explanation. Wish me luck.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hendri said...

very nice indeed... =.=

good luck zie. and tell us how their office treat you. :)

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home